Next Page
Previous Page
From Frank Rodriquez
From Joe Taylor
From Richard Orefice
A nice view of Frank Rodriquez's feet.  This was taken in October 1969 in the Que
Son Mountains.  I saw an article in the Sea Tiger later that year that said October
had been either the 2nd or 3rd rainiest October ever, 300" of rain.  Almost 10" of
rain a day for 31 days.  Not only was it wet, it was cold.  One day on Armed
Forces radio we heard it had been 44 degress in Danang that night.

Everyone in the company had emersion foot to some degree.  You can see the
puffy sores on Frank's feet.  There's little you can do about it but keep your feet
dry until they go away.  You can imagine how successful we were at that.

At one point Battalion informed us that no one could be medivaced for emersion
foot.  I guess they were afraid there'd be no one left if they did.

It was a miserable month.  We spent almost every day of it in the Que Son
mountains or Antenna Valley.  Even with my cigarettes unopened and wrapped in
plastic they still got wet.  I spent one day trying to salvage some by making a
stove and drying them out.  By the time they were dry enough to smoke they were
little black sticks.  They did sort of smoke though.

From my diary:
October 8
Still in the same place.  1st platoon was supposed to go on a patrol but by the
grace of the gods of peons it was cancelled because they couldn't find enough
people that could walk.

October 9
Today they decided our feet had been miraculously cured and off 1st platoon
went.  We were supposed to find a gook trail a couple of clicks away.  We were
sitting on it after we found it when a gook walked up behind us.  Tailend Charley
opened up on him but missed.  While we were all laying on the ground trying to
slow our hearts down (the gook skied) three gooks walked up on the front.  
Brooks, the point man, killed one.  Denton caught one and one got away.  After
that we went back.

The next day we sent the prisoner back to Battalion with a guard of 5-6 guys with
the worst feet.  The CO told them to see the doctor that was with Battalion,
hoping that once he'd seen how bad their feet were he'd medivac them.  Don't
remember how that worked out though.  My feet had been so sore I had had
trouble walking back the previous day so I went to the Corpsmen to see if I might
qualify.  He looked at my feet and just laughed, told me I wasn't even close.
A white phosphorus round.  It looks a little close for artillery.  Maybe
it's a grenade for marking our position.
Unknown on the left and Darrell Coffey on the right.
Given the mud and general appearence of things I'd say this
was taken in the Que Sons in October/November 1969.